Jay Busselle will be joining Aaron this week to talk about Apparel Trends for 2022. A special guest on the show will be Adrienne Palmer with Screen Printing Magazine. If you’re a garment decorator and you want to peer into the 2022 crystal ball, this is a must-see show!
Our regular listeners know this, but 2 Regular Guys are all about garment decorating, a bit of fun, and no rants or lectures or selling. We are not doing this for our employers, but rather for our industry. Since February 2013, The 2 Regular Guys have been the first and the most listened to garment decorating industry podcast on this planet! We are humbled by all of you tuning in each week. We work hard to bring you information that will make your business better, and our industry better. Take a look at our incredible weekly guest list and you’ll understand where this industry goes for news, interviews, and the heartbeat of garment decorating. Thanks for listening!
- GILDAN ANNOUNCES CLOSING OF MEBANE DISTRIBUTION CENTER – In an announcement that was made earlier this month, Gildan Activewear stated its plans to close its Mebane, North Carolina distribution center by June 30th. It’s a move that will affect 128 local employees but won’t necessarily leave them out of a job. According to a press release shared on The Times News, a WARN Act notice filed with the North Carolina Department of Commerce on Feb. 16th said the distribution center would permanently close by June 30, 2022. That specific facility houses the company’s unbranded wholesale activewear apparel.
Dad Joke: What noise does a witch’s vehicle make?
2022 Apparel Trends
Jay: Let’s introduce our guests today! I hope this isn’t too weird for you Aaron but I’m going to be one of the guests too! Am I breaking the rules? I hope so! But the good news is I invited some friends. Adrienne Palmer is editor-in-chief of Screen Printing and BIG Picture magazines. And Jeremy Picker is Creative Director and Founder at AMB3R Creative. Hey guys – what’s going on?
Aaron: You are breaking the rules, Jay, but I think we can make an exception. When I think of 2022 Apparel trends I think of Styles, Colors and even decorating techniques.
Jay: You nailed it Aaron!! It is all three of those things and even the words that we choose to describe the styles, colors and decoration techniques. I was reminded of this when Vicki Ostrom, Futurist and Trend Analyst at SanMar and founder of Trendependent was sharing her wisdom on an education session for PromoKitchen. She shared a reference that I later looked up which was from Adobe called Creative Trends 2022. In that report, Adobe mentions, “The seriousness of life during the pandemic has taken its toll. Tired of the mundane and familiar, people are more carefree, high-spirited, and joyful as they seek re-connection, escape from boredom, and positivity in the new year.”
Aaron: Carefree, joyful and seeking re-connection – those all make sense to me! What other trends are likely to have an impact on apparel Jay?
Jay: Being active and getting outside has always been important. Studies have found people report a higher level of vitality, enthusiasm, pleasure, and self esteem, and a lower level of tension, depression and fatigue after they have walked outside! I’m sure that’s why research revealed exercising outdoors was the most popular fitness trend in 2021. That takes us to 2 very powerful trends that have carried over into 2022: to be outside AND to be active, walking and more involved in fitness.
For specific examples of this, ASI recently released an apparel study (last month). The study is based on data that was analyzed in late 2021 using surveys of nearly 40,000 consumers. That data was presented in a collection of the most popular promo products in the U.S. and identifies which states and regions they’re most influential in. Outerwear & Performance wear were number 1 and number 2 in every region! Only in the Southwest region was it flipped. Performance wear and then Outerwear.
Aaron: Let’s get some insights and input from Adrienne! What do you think about all of this? What’s your take as the editor-in-chief of 2 industry-specific magazines that have a lot to do with design trends and visual trends?
Jay: Asks a follow up question about the importance of inclusion – specifically women and what styles they want.
Aaron: Jeremy has been a little too quiet. We know his passion for fashion is real!! Jeremy, I have good sources who tell me you’re known to take deep dives into colors, styles and decorating techniques. Jeremy, what would you like to share?
Jay: Asks a follow-up question about color. How can you help your customers and buyers of branded merch who have specific PMS colors in their logo to relax and follow some of the color trends so that they don’t look stuck in time?
Aaron: The three of you have shared some excellent insights on the apparel, color, and design trends! Thank you! Jay, why don’t you share the details of your upcoming webinar.
Jay: Thanks Aaron. I was afraid you might never ask!
2022 Apparel Trends will be on Thursday March 31st at 1:00 pm Eastern. The education session is free but registration is required. Of course two of our three expert panelists are here with me today – Adrienne and Jeremy – but we will also have Vicki Ostrom, Futurist and Trend Analyst from SanMar. We will probably spend an hour on the training content and leave 20 minutes for some live questions.
Facebook Live Video
5 Color Trends for 2022
From Jay Busselle
I would like to give a shout out to my friends Frank Good & Meg Erber at S&S Activewear who shared this amazing resource with me. They have a 2022 Color Guide.
- Playful Pastels: Lilac (Veri Peri), Vital Pinks, Canary Yellow
- Versatile Neutrals: Sand, Natural, Pale Grey
- Nature Inspired Hues: Mint, Glacier Ice, Rose
- Mineral Earth Tones: Copper, Camel, Military Green
- Uplifting BOLD: Scarlet Red, Kelly Green, Sunset Orange,
Be Part of #5Things
If you would like to present your 5 Things, five quick points on any subject whether it be advice or five instructional steps, we would love to hear from you. You can come on the show and present them yourself, or we will share your list with our listeners or even play a recorded video of you sharing 5 things. Whatever is easiest.
- The Half – 11:30 AM CST every Friday. Erich Campbell and Aaron Montgomery. 30 minutes of Q&A. And this is the one time in Erich and Aaron’s life that 30 minutes is 30 minutes. Tune in at www.liveosg.com. See past episodes and support the show – thehalf.club.
- Complete Screen Printing Business Course with Atlas Screen Supply in Chicago starting March 5-6, 2022.
- Complete Screen Printing Business Course with Workhorse Products in Phoenix, AZ starting May 21-22, 2022.
- Complete Screen Printing Business Course with Atlas Screen Supply in Chicago starting August 27-28, 2022.
- Complete Screen Printing Business Course with Atlas Screen Supply in Chicago starting November 5-6, 2022.
- Master of Success Inner Circle – The next level for people who are serious about their success. Bi-Weekly Mastermind Groups on top of the industry-leading business training.
- Aaron’s “Small Business Saturdays” #SBS Every Saturday. Check out the Podcast version at SmallBusinessSaturdaysPodcast.com
- Demystifying Next Level Digitizing Make your machine embroidery bolder, more beautiful, and more valuable to customers while making the digitizing process faster and easier. Online Training from Erich Campbell
- Understanding Emblems Digitizing, Production, Styles, and Sales of Patches. Learn from Erich Campbell digitizing for emblems including small detail tips, creating your own borders, as well as execution for stitching, and more. Online Training from Erich Campbell
- The Take-up with Erich Campbell – Friday’s at 2:30 Mountain Time
- Your Style Guide Your Style Guide is a critical recipe. When all of the ingredients are combined, they create a powerful brand that is aligned, consistent & memorable! eBook by Jay Busselle
- Impressions Expo Atlantic City, NJ – March 24-26, 2022
- Graphics Pro Expo Denver, CO – April 14-15, 2022
- DAX Chicagoland Tinley Park, IL – April 22-23, 2022
- Digitizing your First Design – Finding your Foundations – Erich Campbell – April 21, 2022
- Into Cyberspace: Your NEW On-line Customer Center – Aaron Montgomery – April 22, 2022
- Specialty Inks and How to Use Them Properly – Terry Combs – April 22, 2022
- Why is Getting Started in DTG Printing So Confusing? – Terry Combs – April 22, 2022
- Design Editing and Alterations – Erich Campbell – April 22, 2022
- 3 Pricing Strategies to Avoid (And what to do instead…) – Aaron Montgomery – April 23, 2022
- Everything Embroidery Market Chattanooga, TN – April 28-30, 2022
- Friday, April 29th – 3 Pricing Strategies to Avoid (And what to do instead…) – Aaron Montgomery
Friday, April 29th – Business Owner Mindset – Believe is possible, overcome fear and take action. – Kylene and Aaron Montgomery
Friday, April 29th – What is Work-Life Balance? Myth, dream or Possibility? – Kylene Montgomery
Saturday, April 30th – Being Customer-Centric is the Only Way to REAL Profits – Aaron Montgomery
Saturday, April 30th – Keys to Successful Business Planning – Aaron Montgomery
- Friday, April 29th – 3 Pricing Strategies to Avoid (And what to do instead…) – Aaron Montgomery
- Graphics Pro Expo Indianapolis, IN – June 2-4, 2022
- Graphics Pro Expo Meadowlands, NL – July 21-22, 2022
- Graphics Pro Expo Long Beach, CA – August 4-6, 2002
- Impressions Expo Ft Worth, TX – September 30 – October 2, 2022
- Graphics Pro Expo Charlotte, NC – September 16-17, 2022
- START HERE Academy – September 15, 4-8 p.m., in Room 219 at the Charlotte Convention Center
- Printing United Las Vegas, NV – October 19-21, 2022
All dates and events, subject to change
Please support our sponsors!
This show is for the listeners so please make sure to ask us some questions or give us some topics you would like us to discuss. Also, if you have any event or upcoming items related to our industry that you would like us to bring up on the show, please contact us via our Facebook Page. Also, make sure to interact/follow us on Twitter and Instagram. You can also find information on our YouTube Page.