Bad Info Shared Freely on the Internet
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:06:07 — 58.7MB) Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS | More
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:06:07 — 58.7MB)
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS | More
(Sponsored by PRINTING United) Ever hear someone say if you repeat something enough, people will start to believe it’s true? That’s what we’ll be discussing on 2 Regular Guys this Friday. Bad Info about garment decorating that’s repeated enough that people start to believe it. Guest host Jay Busselle will join Terry to talk about the good and the bad of internet information.
Our regular listeners know this, but 2 Regular Guys are all about garment decorating, a bit of fun, and no rants or lectures or selling. We are not doing this for our employers, but rather for our industry. Since February 2013, The 2 Regular Guys have been the first and the most listened to garment decorating industry podcast on this planet! We are humbled by all of you tuning in each week. We work hard to bring you information that will make your business better, and our industry better. Take a look at our incredible weekly guest list and you’ll understand where this industry goes for news, interviews, and the heartbeat of garment decorating. Thanks for listening!
GSG Acquires McBee Supply
GSG, a supplier for the screen, digital, and sign equipment and supply industry, announces its acquisition of the assets, business, and employees from McBee Supply in Houston, Texas. McBee Supply transitioned its inventory and employees to GSG as of July 6.
Mike McDonnell, president of McBee, has facilitated the acquisition and will retire once the transaction closes.
McDonnell said, “I know GSG well and respect them as a good, fair, and solid competitor. This was a good opportunity to transition McBee employees as we are not only familiar with each other, our lines overlap, and know this is a positive move for my employees.”
Dad Joke: Know why the Flat Earth people are wrong?
If the Earth was flat our cats would have pushed ALL our stuff over the edge by now.
Terry: Ever hear someone say if you repeat something enough times, people will start to believe it’s true? It’s the same with garment/product decorating and information on the internet. Jay, what we really find on the internet is, “I couldn’t get this to work, so here’s my Bandaid.”
- All you need are 110 mesh screens
- Flash between colors for best results
- Pinholes? Just put more emulsion on it!
- There is a perfect white ink. You just have to find it!
- Save money, use Teflon sheets
- Our machine will fix your 72dpi files and print perfectly
- You can’t make money with DTG… ink is too high and production is too slow
Sublimation (per Aaron)
- Terry: Dipping mugs after pressing. Even in lukewarm water you are creating micro cracks in the ceramic. This was an old band aid for old coating that was not as good as the current dishwasher safe coatings where the ink is not going to ghost as readily. Just remove the transfer, put the mug on a cooling rack, cooling stone, or on concrete to remove the heat from it at a natural level and you will be fine. If anyone is suggesting it, I would be leery of their mugs and the quality of coating.
- Jay: 400 degrees for 60 seconds – This time and temperature has been used as the correct setting for all sorts of items. It is another bandaid for poor testing and was just a catch all to make sure that the full transfer happened. Most items have a much lower time and temperature. 400 for 60 seconds will cause blacks to look brown, and haloing around the edges of prints. It can even cause the orange peel look on thin aluminum and other hard surface coated items.
Embroidery (per Erich)
- Terry: Embroidery pricing begins and ends with $1 per thousand stitches. Every shop is unique, niches can be different, and both the value you are providing and the costs required to keep your business healthy and profitable vary widely with where you are located and who you are serving as well as the type and amount of equipment you run. Simple counts are easier for quoting, but often leave money on the table. Besides this ‘rule of thumb’ hasn’t seemed to change for decades, while prices around the world continue to climb- how can that be sustainable?
- Jay: Having registration problems with your embroidery? The answer isn’t always in the stabilizer, especially if you are adding several pieces to your garment. It’s important to have the correct stabilizer to arrest stretching and movement in the hoop, but other issues including the sequence of your design and the amount of compensation for natural forces you’ve applied to your shapes can be the cause of issues that you might alleviate with more stabilizer, but at the cost of a bulletproof, cardboard like design and a garment that feels awful to wear.
- Terry: The answer isn’t always adding more density. The right answer to seeing garment color through a filled area isn’t always to add more density to your top stitching. More stitches may indeed equal more coverage, but it also results in more distortion and stiffer embroidery as well as more time on the machines. Use structural underlay stitching that lifts up and supports your top stitching for increased coverage and it will take less stitching and pack less in a given area to get you the coverage you want.
Terry: Instead of 5 Things today, we’re going to check in with Aaron at the DAX Show
Terry: You’re first show since the pandemic started. What’s it been like for you personally?
Jay: So tell us how the show is going? Lots of people?
Terry: What are you hearing from vendors?
Jay: How about attendees, Aaron? What have they had to say?
Facebook Live Video
Be Part of #5Things
If you would like to present your 5 Things, five quick points on any subject whether it be advice or five instructional steps, we would love to hear from you. You can come on the show and present them yourself, or we will share your list with our listeners or even play a recorded video of you sharing 5 things. Whatever is easiest.
Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, Contact Us or at our Facebook Page.
- The Half – 11:30 AM CST every Friday. Erich Campbell and Aaron Montgomery. 30 minutes of Q&A. And this is the one time in Erich and Aaron’s life that 30 minutes is 30 minutes. Tune in at www.liveosg.com. See past episodes and support the show – thehalf.club.
- Complete Screen Printing Business Course with Workhorse Products in Phoenix starting July 10-11
- Complete Screen Printing Business Course with Atlas Screen Supply in Chicago starting August 21-22.
- OurSuccessGroup.Com – Success Business Training. Our missing is to provide resources that empower business owners to achieve their idea of success.
- Club OSG – Live videos and information from After Hours of Tuesday’s With Todd and Small Business Saturdays. Plus 10% off at at MontCo.biz and FatDadWholesale.com
- The Success Tracker – A program from OSG, to get people started on achieving their goals.
- Master of Success Inner Circle – The next level for people who are serious about their success. Bi-Weekly Mastermind Groups on top of the industry-leading business training.
- Aaron’s Online Video Series “Small Business Saturdays” #SBSVideos Every Saturday
- Check out the Podcast version at SmallBusinessSaturdaysPodcast.com
- Demystifying Next Level Digitizing Online Training from Erich Campbell
- The Take-up with Erich Campbell – Friday’s at 2:30 Mountain Time
- Your Style Guide eBook by Jay Busselle
- DAX Kansas City – July 9-10, 2021
- Graphics Pro Expo Meadowlands – July 15-16, 2021
- The Applique Getaway Dallas/Fort Worth, TX – Jule 23-25, 2021
- DAX Minnesota – August 3-4, 2021
- Graphics Pro Expo Long Beach – August 12-14, 2021
- Impressions Expo Atlantic City – August 26-28, 2021
- DAX Chicagoland – August 27-28, 2021
- Impressions Expo Ft Worth – September 10-12, 2021
- Graphics Pro Expo Pittsburgh – September 24-25, 2021
- Printing United Orlando – October 6-8, 2021
- Graphics Pro Expo Charlotte – October 29-30, 2021
All dates and events, subject to change
Please support our sponsors!
Our Success Group – Business Training, Consulting, and Support – Use the code 2rg to save on Monthly or Annual Membership plans.
This show is for the listeners, so please ask us questions or give us some topics you would like us to discuss. Contact us via our Facebook Page if you have any events or upcoming items related to our industry that you would like us to bring up on the show. Also, make sure to interact/follow us on Instagram and YouTube.