Competing with Major Retailers
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:16:34 — 71.4MB) Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS | More
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:16:34 — 71.4MB)
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS | More
(Sponsored by GRAPHICS PRO EXPO) You can buy custom-decorated garments and products at Amazon, Walmart, etc. The size and financial clout scare some independent decorators. Let’s have a conversation about successfully competing with massive competitors. How do small businesses use our advantages to gain their share of the business?
Our regular listeners know this, but 2 Regular Guys are all about garment decorating, a bit of fun, and no rants or lectures or selling. We are not doing this for our employers, but rather for our industry. Since February 2013, The 2 Regular Guys have been the first and the most listened to garment decorating industry podcast on this planet! We are humbled by all of you tuning in each week. We work hard to bring you information that will make your business better, and our industry better. Take a look at our incredible weekly guest list and you’ll understand where this industry goes for news, interviews, and the heartbeat of garment decorating. Thanks for listening!
Dad Joke: From Jerry Dahlheimer – How do you know when a joke is a Dad Joke?
It’s a parent!
Competing with Major Retailers
Terry: Here’s why I started thinking about this subject: I spoke to a gentleman a couple of weeks ago who said, “My friend in the business says that the major retailers, the big decorators, have driven all the small screen printers and DTG printers out of business. My guess is 1) his “friend” didn’t want him to get into the business as a competitor, or 2) his friend was looking for someone to blame for his own lack of sales. So, what’s the truth about competing with the Amazons of the world?
Aaron: Let’s talk about this: Is there really competition between smaller decorators and major retailers?
- Let’s talk about competition, and we’re looking for input from the Regulators
- Competition can come from anywhere
- Pointing fingers for your own failures – This could be a long conversation
- It’s the economy
- It’s my market area
- It’s my competition not playing fair
- It’s the unreasonable customer requests
- And last, it’s the big bad box store putting me out of business
- When a business is hanging by a thread, any wind my knock it down
- There’s an assumption that because a company is bigger, they’ll do things better
Terry: Let’s discuss what the big guys can do better?
- Unlimited funds
- Broad reach
- A known reputation – brand (You can build your own brand too)
Aaron: What can you do better?
- Personal service – conversations about file types, printability, etc.
- The big guys are just going to print what you send them… good or bad
- How often is your customer’s art what it should be?
- Personal interaction on orders – distributor is out of stock but here’s what we can do
Facebook Live Video
5 Reasons to take on Self-Directed Projects
- Allows you to explore techniques you aren’t yet familiar with
- Fills out your ‘sample case’ – Customers don’t always have their own vision and/or want ‘proof’ of your work.
- Lets you show styles and/or products you want to introduce to your product line
- Provides a ‘judgment free’ and less time-sensitive place to explore your craft
- It’s fun, and informative – Lets you ‘be the customer’ as well as the creator.
From Erich Campbell
Be Part of #5Things
If you would like to present your 5 Things, five quick points on any subject whether it be advice or five instructional steps, we would love to hear from you. You can come on the show and present them yourself, or we will share your list with our listeners or even play a recorded video of you sharing 5 things. Whatever is easiest.
Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, Contact Us or at our Facebook Page.
- The Half – 11:30 AM CST every Friday. Erich Campbell and Aaron Montgomery. 30 minutes of Q&A. And this is the one time in Erich and Aaron’s life that 30 minutes is 30 minutes. Tune in at www.liveosg.com. See past episodes and support the show – thehalf.club.
- Complete Screen Printing Business Course with Workhorse Products in Phoenix starting July 10-11
- Complete Screen Printing Business Course with Atlas Screen Supply in Chicago starting August 21-22.
- OurSuccessGroup.Com – Success Business Training. Our missing is to provide resources that empower business owners to achieve their idea of success.
- Club OSG – Live videos and information from After Hours of Tuesday’s With Todd and Small Business Saturdays. Plus 10% off at at MontCo.biz and FatDadWholesale.com
- The Success Tracker – A program from OSG, to get people started on achieving their goals.
- Master of Success Inner Circle – The next level for people who are serious about their success. Bi-Weekly Mastermind Groups on top of the industry-leading business training.
- Aaron’s Online Video Series “Small Business Saturdays” #SBSVideos Every Saturday
- Check out the Podcast version at SmallBusinessSaturdaysPodcast.com
- Demystifying Next Level Digitizing Online Training from Erich Campbell
- The Take-up with Erich Campbell – Friday’s at 2:30 Mountain Time
- Your Style Guide eBook by Jay Busselle
- DAX Kansas City – July 9-10, 2021
- Graphics Pro Expo Meadowlands – July 15-16, 2021
- The Applique Getaway Dallas/Fort Worth, TX – Jule 23-25, 2021
- DAX Minnesota – August 3-4, 2021
- Graphics Pro Expo Long Beach – August 12-14, 2021
- Impressions Expo Atlantic City – August 26-28, 2021
- DAX Chicagoland – August 27-28, 2021
- Impressions Expo Ft Worth – September 10-12, 2021
- Graphics Pro Expo Pittsburgh – September 24-25, 2021
- Printing United Orlando – October 6-8, 2021
- Graphics Pro Expo Charlotte – October 29-30, 2021
All dates and events, subject to change
Please support our sponsors!
Our Success Group – Business Training, Consulting, and Support – Use the code 2rg to save on Monthly or Annual Membership plans.
This show is for the listeners, so please ask us questions or give us some topics you would like us to discuss. Contact us via our Facebook Page if you have any events or upcoming items related to our industry that you would like us to bring up on the show. Also, make sure to interact/follow us on Instagram and YouTube.