Copyright and Trademark Law Questions Answered
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:36:22 — 88.3MB) Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS | More
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:36:22 — 88.3MB)
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS | More
Back in 2018, we hosted Mr. Firemark for an inspiring discussion on Copyright and Trademark Law. He answered a ton of questions for us and dispelled a lot of myths. Gordon is coming back to help us wade through the confusion once more. We will put as many questions in front of Gordon as we can and he will share with us as an attorney what the law really is when it comes to copyrights and trademarks.
Sponsored by: Our Success Group. Are you looking to move your business forward and make it a full-time success that supports you and your family? Click the link to sign up for more details and to get some free resources.
Our regular listeners know this, but 2 Regular Guys are all about garment decorating, a bit of fun, and no rants or lectures or selling. We are not doing this for our employers, but rather for our industry. Since February 2013, The 2 Regular Guys have been the first and the most listened to garment decorating industry podcast on this planet! We are humbled by all of you tuning in each week. We work hard to bring you information that will make your business better, and our industry better. Take a look at our incredible weekly guest list and you’ll understand where this industry goes for news, interviews, and the heartbeat of garment decorating. Thanks for listening!
Today is the actual one year anniversary of the official start of Our Success Group. We did our first training last year on this date as part of a kick-off 5 keys series about launching and growing your business. The first one was Determining Your Overhead. Since then we have done 31 other training classes, launched a Success Support program, and created mastermind groups fulfilling our mission of providing resources that empower business owners to achieve their idea of success.
Dad Joke: Do you know what the favorite New Year’s Eve drink is for pretentious horses?
Copyright and Trademark Law
Terry: Gordon, let’s start with one that I hear regularly. Someone will see a decorator printing Disney, or DC Comics, or Harley Davidson and say, “You know, that’s copyrighted artwork.” Could you explain to our listeners the difference between copyright and trademark?
Aaron: If people see copyright violations and wish to report it, is there a central location or do they need to find the licensee info?
Terry: We see this with equipment sales too. A company either has end-of-life with a product or stops selling a product, and says there’s no more support.
Aaron: “How does everyone find if an image used is copyrighted or not? For example, Renaissance Art or famous old masterpieces, are they somehow copyrighted?”
- If you buy artwork from someone who claims to have the rights to it do you automatically get the rights because of purchasing the art?
- Similarly a listener asked, what if I buy a trademarked image, as sublimation transfers for instance, and the seller infers they are licensed, could I be liable for trademark infringement for selling the image on products?
- What action can we actually take in the event someone steals our design…? How do we protect our design? How much will it all cost? Often the thieves rely on the fact people will not take action because of cost so…
- What’s the best way to protect our own original artwork?
- My question. Why do all the local schools get by with using NFL logos for their school logo? I was told by a coach that they have permission to use the Atlanta Falcons bird. I still refuse to do it for them but they just have it done by someone else.
- What about school logos in general (especially high school)…can we print apparel, etc. using their logos, whether they are using an NFL logo or one of their own design without permission? If we need permission, do we get it from the school?
- How do high schools get away with using college football team logos? Are there repercussions for a decorator using said logo to make apparel for the high school?
- I have seen designs that are changed a little to mimic popular copyrighted designs. For example, it might be called Ice Princess and have no facial features. Is it legal to purchase slightly changed designs?
- What about parody? We see this all the time too.
- What about mashups?
- How does just about every large company at a convention print out TM or Copyrighted material and show or give it it away? Why don’t they get into trouble? Check out any SGIA, ISA, ISS, NBM, etc show.
- Not my question. But I see it aaaalll the time on other groups “I know it’s a copyright item but it’s for personal use only…”.
Aaron: Are auto logos licensed the same as everything else? For example, I have a couple of antique cars. Would love to make items for sale for car shows.
Terry: If I take a picture of a well-known person or place, can I create something with it as an artist?
Gordon Firemark has practiced media and entertainment law since 1992. He is often referred to as The Podcast Lawyer™, and is himself a podcaster, producing and hosting the Entertainment Law Update podcast (since 2009), and the newer More, Better, Faster podcast which offers insights and advice to creative professionals and businesses who want to achieve more, better, faster. Gordon is the author of the Podcast, Blog & New Media Producer’’s Legal Survival Guide and creator of several online courses for creatives.
His undergraduate degree in radio, television and film and experience in live theatre production informs his thinking about all things legal. In addition to his busy law practice, He teaches Entertainment Law at Columbia College Hollywood, Intellectual Property and Media Law at Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising, and Contract law at Pepperdine Law School.
Find him online at gordonfiremark.com and on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Be sure to check out: Digital Entrepreneur’s Legal & Business Toolkit – http://DIYbizlaw.com)
Facebook Live Video
5 Reason You Should be in a Mastermind Group as a Small Business Owner
- Accountability – Peer accountability to get things done that are hard but we know need doing.
- Support – Having a team that has your back even as a solopreneur.
- Creativity – Diversity brings creativity which can help solve problems.
- Extra Resources – Resources are not just money, but ideas and connections
- Confidence – Through the 4 reasons mentioned your confidence will soar as well because you now have a team working towards a common goal.
Be Part of #5Things
If you would like to present your 5 Things, five quick points on any subject whether it be advice or five instructional steps, we would love to hear from you. You can come on the show and present them yourself, or we will share your list with our listeners or even play a recorded video of you sharing 5 things. Whatever is easiest.
Reach out to us at email@example.com, Contact Us or at our Facebook Page.
- OurSuccessGroup.Com – Success Business Training. Our missing is to provide resources that empower business owners to achieve their idea of success.
- The Success Tracker – A program from OSG, to get people started on achieving their goals.
- Master of Success Inner Circle – The next level for people who are serious about their success. Bi-Weekly Mastermind Groups on top of the industry-leading business training.
- Aaron’s Online Video Series “Small Business Saturdays” #SBSVideos Every Saturday
- Check out the Podcast version at SmallBusinessSaturdaysPodcast.com
- Demystifying Next Level Digitizing Online Training from Erich Campbell
- The Take-up with Erich Campbell – Friday’s at 2:30 Mountain Time
- Your Style Guide eBook by Jay Busselle
- DAX Kansas City – February 19-20,2021
- DAX Minnesota – March 18-19, 2021
- DAX Chicagoland – April 23-24, 2021
- Impressions Expo Long Beach – April 24-26, 2021
- Graphics Pro Expo Irving – May 13-15, 2021
- Graphics Pro Expo Indianapolis – June 15-17, 2021
- Impressions Expo Atlantic City – June 24-26, 2021
- Graphics Pro Expo Meadowlands – July 15-16, 2021
- Graphics Pro Expo Long Beach – August 12-14, 2021
- Impressions Expo Ft Worth – September 10-12, 2021
- Graphics Pro Expo Pittsburgh – September 24-25, 2021
- Printing United Orlando – October 6-8, 2021
- Graphics Pro Expo Charlotte – October 29-30, 2021
All dates and events, subject to change
Please support our sponsors!
Our Success Group – Business Training, Consulting, and Support – Use the code 2rg to save on Monthly or Annual Membership plans.
This show is for the listeners, so please ask us questions or give us some topics you would like us to discuss. Contact us via our Facebook Page if you have any events or upcoming items related to our industry that you would like us to bring up on the show. Also, make sure to interact/follow us on Instagram and YouTube.