Please find some links and notes from the 2 Regular Guys Podcast where Aaron and Terry bring back Kristine Shreve for a follow-up show to our episode with her back in September 2013 about Social Media. Now with a full hour format, we are digging deeper into Social Media and what it means to our industry.
Sponsored by: Equipment Zone (Use Coupon code GUYS)
Apparel Design Makeover
- There is not a “silver bullet” with Social Media. Can you elaborate a bit more on that?
- From Printwear Magazine March article “How to Fail in Social Media.”
- More is not alway better. How can Terry better interact with the 10,000+ followers on Twitter?
- Discuss posting to social media and the fact that you must keep people’s interest, but you don’t want to overdo it. Can you share with our listeners and tips or tools that could help them with this?
- Business pages. Can you explain a little more about that and what the difference is between a regular page and a business page in the different platforms.
- Discussion about the fact that Facebook has changed their algorithms again and it seems that your organic reach via your Facebook page is shrinking even more. Basically they have sucked people in it seems and are now trying to create way to make people page for ads. What is your take on paying to boost posts, promote your page or advertise on Facebook in general. Is it worth it to you and if so what should I budget for to be successful?
- Other Podcast Mentioned – Marketing Over Coffee
- Talk to us a little more about Google +. What is it all about and why should you waste time on posting to a place the seems a bit dead at times?
- What about the communities, hangouts and other features inside Google +. Anything we need to be looking at there?
- Instagram, if I post a picture through Instagram to Facebook and Twitter, does it have more reach than just posting to Facebook or Twitter directly?
- Any thoughts on Instagram and using it for business?
- Give us your overview of how you see businesses using Pintrest, YouTube and LinkedIn to help their business?
Kristine’s Bio: An industry expert who is the Director of Marketing for EnMart in Michigan. She is a popular industry writer on all things embroidery, sublimation and social media as well as presenter of a social media seminar, most recently at the DAX Minnesota show.
Chat Room Log
ErichCampbell: Good morning, everyone!
2 Regular Guys Talking Decoration: Morning Erich!
KristineShreve: Good morning Erich!
ErichCampbell: Good morning, Kristine! 🙂
JohnnyKillerGraphics: Hi Guys
2 Regular Guys Talking Decoration: Morning Johnny!
ErichCampbell: Morning, Johnny!
KristineShreve: Good morning Johnny
ErichCampbell: Quality versus quantity, man. 😉
ErichCampbell: “social media gurus” 😛
2 Regular Guys Talking Decoration: Erich – If you had a Twitter handle before 2009 then you are an expert… Right?
ErichCampbell: Always remember your audience, actually be social, and give them the info they need/want, not what you think they need to hear for your aims.
ErichCampbell: Radically out-care your competition. 🙂
JohnnyKillerGraphics: they Love pictures and short vids
ErichCampbell: They do. Visual is huge.
ErichCampbell: Printwear is great, but I write for them, so I may be a little biased. 🙂
JohnnyKillerGraphics: many don’t have the attention span to read anymore
2 Regular Guys Talking Decoration: Agreed!
ErichCampbell: That’s true. That’s when the great pictures come in handy. Even in articles or posts, always having a great picture is well worthwhile.
CaesarNorthAmerica: Good morning Aaron. Brett here.
JohnnyKillerGraphics: all about the teaser to get them in
ErichCampbell: Indeed. And if they won’t read your post/article, they might look at your pic and read the caption.
2 Regular Guys Talking Decoration: Morning Brett!
JohnnyKillerGraphics: and always make sure they get something out of it
2 Regular Guys Talking Decoration: So anyone have any questions for Kristine? We will ask her at the end.
ErichCampbell: LinkedIn definitely does also.
CaesarNorthAmerica: The analytics on a facebook business page is awesome!
CaesarNorthAmerica: I have been contemplating “boosting our posts” not sure of the benefits
2 Regular Guys Talking Decoration: Chris and John are great. They have some great books too Erich!
JohnnyKillerGraphics: thanks eric
ErichCampbell: I’ll have to listen. Looks like a good podcast.
ErichCampbell: BTW, a great service that has *fantastic* analytics and stores your social posts so that you can get them in perpetuity is ThinkUp. https://www.thinkup.com/
ErichCampbell: I use an older open-source version that I have installed on my own server, but the service they now offer is improved and really great.
ErichCampbell: It costs, but if you manage a lot of SM it is pretty cool.
ErichCampbell: No worries Johnny. 🙂
ErichCampbell: Everybody loves my coffee posts- you have to know your audience. 🙂
2 Regular Guys Talking Decoration: Hard to know your audience when there are 10,000 of them… LOL
2 Regular Guys Talking Decoration: Got to beat up Terry a little. Its just fun.
JohnnyKillerGraphics: My whole Home Business Series will be on google plus and hangouts, the analytics are awesome.
ErichCampbell: G+ is great for longer form stuff. I thiink what’s more important to use author tagging from G+ on your personal blog. I feel like the blog should be your storehouse, and SM should be the place you promote that content that you *own*
ErichCampbell: Not that I’m implementing that the best. 🙂
JohnnyKillerGraphics: you ride with the bigs boys and google is one of the biggest
JohnnyKillerGraphics: make your post all bounce off or back to each other…thats the new SEO
ErichCampbell: You can always fill that time when you get on it.
ErichCampbell: I know a decorator who has been getting tons of orders from sharing his pieces on instagram
ErichCampbell: for a specific demographic- sells a lot of streetwear, there.
ErichCampbell: Pinterest is *full* of decorators.
2 Regular Guys Talking Decoration: Wrapping up with Kristine. Any things you guys want ot ask?
ErichCampbell: She’s covering things so well, it’s hard to have many. 🙂
2 Regular Guys Talking Decoration: BTW – Great info here guys too. Thanks! I will get this chat log on our site this weekend with the show notes and link your info. Appreciate the support!
ErichCampbell: Right on.
KristineShreve: Thanks for listening guys. Lots of good info in the chat!
JohnnyKillerGraphics: Enjoyed it Kristine
ErichCampbell: It was a great show!
ErichCampbell: Well done, Kristine.
KristineShreve: Thank you.
- ASI New York – April 3rd – 4th
- DAX Chicago – April 25th – 26th
- ISA Sign Expo Orlando – March 24th – 26th
- ISS Nashville – May 8th – 10th
- NBM Indianapolis – June 12th – 14th
- Introduction to DTG Printing – Equipment Zone in New Jersey (outside NYC) – April 4th
- Complete Screen Printing Business Course – Workhorse Products in Phoenix – May 17-18, 2014
- Complete Screen Printing Business Course – Atlas Screen Supply in Chicago – May 31-June 1, 2014
Terry’s Book – Screen Printing: A Practical Guide to Starting Your Own T-Shirt Business
Just $4.95 as an e-book.
This show is brought to you for a full hour by: Equipment Zone, with 20 years experience selling garment printing equipment nationwide. Equipment Zone offers the new Epson F2000 SureColor direct-to-garment printer, their own VelociJet-XL DTG printer, and the all new SpeedTreater-TX automatic pretreat machine with a full 16”x24” pretreat area. Introductory price is $3,695. Equipment Zone also carries a full line of DTG inks and supplies. Go to EquipmentZone.com
This show is for the listeners so please make sure to ask us some questions or give us some topics you would like us to discuss. Also if you have any event or upcoming items related to our industry that you would like us to bring up on the show, please contact us via our Facebook Page. Also make sure to interact/follow us on Twitter.