Episode 444 – A Look Back on the Last 10 Seasons
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:21:54 — 70.2MB) Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS | More
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:21:54 — 70.2MB)
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS | More
It is the 2 Regular Guys 444th episode which brings us into the first quarter of our 10th season. Where have 10 years gone? Show producer Erich Campbell will be joining Aaron and Terry to talk about our own favorite episodes over the span of 10 years. And we’ll be asking the Regulators to be sharing their favorites as well! Plus we will break down the takeaways from those favorite episodes so you can go implement those into your business right away. 4 takeaways each to honor show 444.
Our regular listeners know this, but 2 Regular Guys are all about garment decorating, a bit of fun, and no rants or lectures or selling. We are not doing this for our employers, but rather for our industry. Since February 2013, The 2 Regular Guys have been the first and the most listened to garment decorating industry podcast on this planet! We are humbled by all of you tuning in each week. We work hard to bring you information that will make your business better, and our industry better. Take a look at our incredible weekly guest list and you’ll understand where this industry goes for news, interviews, and the heartbeat of garment decorating. Thanks for listening!
- Terry: Pasadena City College in California is facing backlash after its board of trustees unanimously voted to cancel the school’s screen-printing program, the Pasadena Star-News reports. Supporters of the program have called PCC’s decision a “crime” against the local community, with some alleging the cancellation was made in violation of the school’s bylaws, the article explains. The college, for its part, says there were no improprieties and that the decision was handed down in accordance with established procedures.
- Aaron: Getting all my ducks in a row for the upcoming SkillsUSA Competition in June in Atlanta. I need volunteers to come to the national competition and be judges in Atlanta this year on June 23rd and 24th. Please reach out to me if you know anyone or are interested. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Aaron: Mutoh Suspends Printer Exports to Russia and Belarus, Mutoh, a manufacturer of wide-format inkjet printers, cutters, and inks, announces it is temporarily suspending all printer exports to Russia and Belarus amid its ongoing war with Ukraine and will not deliver any equipment to these regions. In a statement to its customers, the company says it is deeply concerned about the tragic developments in Ukraine and stands with all the people suffering.
Dad Joke: Did you know I joined a support group for people who talk too much?
It’s called On and On Anon
Review of Last 10 Years
Aaron: Heading to the way back machine. May 13, 2016 – I Wish Someone Told Me…
- Where to learn more about this business
- There was no set in stone method for accomplishing the tasks of this business
Terry: Is it cheating to say our first episode? Because that’s where this adventure began. Not suggesting anyone go back and listen so I’m not including a link here, but to be honest I didn’t know what a podcast was at that point in time. (I do have it online now though… https://www.2regularguys.com/show-number-1/)
Aaron: January 2018 for my next one. A great conversation with Brett Bowden titled – Future of Garment Decoration with Brett Bowden
- How focusing on a Niche can grow your business faster than being everything to everyone.
- How Amazon is changing the game of garment decorating. Fast, Quality or Cheap – Pick two.
Terry: Theresa Hegel with the former Wearables Magazine and her State of the Decorated Apparel Industry surveys. The last time was February 1, 2019. State of the Industry
Aaron: This show I want to talk about is one that makes me a little sad. There are about 6 shows in 2014, that for whatever reason I didn’t get saved. I thought I saved them all, but I looked and looked and can’t find them. We have Mark Coudray on and he was talking about the change from Garment 2.0 to 3.0 and VC’s coming in etc. He must have had a crystal ball, but what is really true, his is just a really smart guy as we have reported recently on VC buying Printavo and Inksoft. Mark Cuban getting involved with Campus Ink. Etc. Decorating has changed drastically since 2014 and getting to talk to Mark about it was really cool. I think we need to get Mark back on soon. What should we talk to him about in 2022?
- We need to be looking ahead further as an industry
- We are bigger than we act sometimes, and I think what really shows our lack of understanding of the demand for our products is all the people willing to race to the bottom of the pricing game.
- We are enhancing something that is a commodity, so don’t make price the only factor in why someone should buy from you.
Erich: The show that started it all on August 2nd, 2013 – I came on as a guest to talk about learning to digitize for embroidery. I got on the show and almost never left. 🙂 Add to that the episodes where I guest hosted with Kristine Shreve early on were memorable as well. We’ve done so many hosts shows that I always loved, but some of the outliers that stood out were the ones that didn’t just talk decoration- Copyright with Gordon Firemark being one that I always point to, (https://www.2regularguys.com/copyright-and-trademark-law/) we reached out and talked about things that weren’t just how-to or industry tips. Dave Harding coming in to talk equipment leasing and cash flow also ring a bell there. These may not be the run-out and get-inspired episodes, but they were solidly helpful and went beyond the usual tech tips we see in so much industry material. That said, the couple of episodes we’ve had with Pete Lovelace were also huge for me, both his episode pre-pandemic on being a virtuous leader and his post-pandemic episode about what’s next. It’s frank discussions and deep topics like that which stand apart. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq8pltxBDKA)
Facebook Live Video
5 Favorite Episodes from 2021
We upgrade the 5 Things page to allow you all to easily become part of it. Now it is up to you to take action and submit your 5 things. https://www.2regularguys.com/5things/
- Road to Sublimation Success (David Gross)
- Women In Garment Decorating – Hiring And Keeping Employees (Wendy and Allison)
- Am I Doing This Right? (Terry, Erich and Aaron)
- Should I Be Printing This? (Jeff Schutzman)
- What’s Next for Apparel Businesses? (Pete Lovelace)
Be Part of #5Things
If you would like to present your 5 Things, five quick points on any subject whether it be advice or five instructional steps, we would love to hear from you. You can come on the show and present them yourself, or we will share your list with our listeners or even play a recorded video of you sharing 5 things. Whatever is easiest. https://www.2regularguys.com/5things/
- The Half – 11:30 AM CST every Friday. Erich Campbell and Aaron Montgomery. 30 minutes of Q&A. And this is the one time in Erich and Aaron’s life that 30 minutes is 30 minutes. Tune in at www.liveosg.com. See past episodes and support the show – thehalf.club.
- Complete Screen Printing Business Course with Workhorse Products in Phoenix, AZ starting May 21-22, 2022.
- Complete Screen Printing Business Course with Atlas Screen Supply in Chicago starting August 27-28, 2022.
- Complete Screen Printing Business Course with Atlas Screen Supply in Chicago starting November 5-6, 2022.
- Master of Success Inner Circle – The next level for people who are serious about their success. Bi-Weekly Mastermind Groups on top of the industry-leading business training.
- Aaron’s “Small Business Saturdays” #SBS Every Saturday. Check out the Podcast version at SmallBusinessSaturdaysPodcast.com
- Demystifying Next Level Digitizing Make your machine embroidery bolder, more beautiful, and more valuable to customers while making the digitizing process faster and easier. Online Training from Erich Campbell
- Understanding Emblems Digitizing, Production, Styles, and Sales of Patches. Learn from Erich Campbell about digitizing for emblems including small detail tips, creating your own borders, as well as execution for stitching, and more. Online Training from Erich Campbell
- The Take-up with Erich Campbell – Fridays at 2:30 Mountain Time
- Your Style Guide Your Style Guide is a critical recipe. When all of the ingredients are combined, they create a powerful brand that is aligned, consistent & memorable! eBook by Jay Busselle
- Graphics Pro Expo Denver, CO – April 14-15, 2022
- DAX Chicagoland Tinley Park, IL – April 22-23, 2022
- Digitizing your First Design – Finding your Foundations – Erich Campbell – April 21, 2022
- Into Cyberspace: Your NEW On-line Customer Center – Aaron Montgomery – April 22, 2022
- Specialty Inks and How to Use Them Properly – Terry Combs – April 22, 2022
- Why is Getting Started in DTG Printing So Confusing? – Terry Combs – April 22, 2022
- Design Editing and Alterations – Erich Campbell – April 22, 2022
- 3 Pricing Strategies to Avoid (And what to do instead…) – Aaron Montgomery – April 23, 2022
- Everything Embroidery Market Chattanooga, TN – April 28-30, 2022
- Friday, April 29th – 3 Pricing Strategies to Avoid (And what to do instead…) – Aaron Montgomery
Friday, April 29th – Business Owner Mindset – Believe is possible, overcome fear and take action. – Kylene and Aaron Montgomery
Friday, April 29th – What is Work-Life Balance? Myth, dream or Possibility? – Kylene Montgomery
Saturday, April 30th – Being Customer-Centric is the Only Way to REAL Profits – Aaron Montgomery
Saturday, April 30th – Keys to Successful Business Planning – Aaron Montgomery
- Friday, April 29th – 3 Pricing Strategies to Avoid (And what to do instead…) – Aaron Montgomery
- Graphics Pro Expo Indianapolis, IN – June 2-4, 2022
- SkillsUSA National Leadership and Skills Conference Atlanta, GA – June 20-24, 2022
- Graphics Pro Expo Meadowlands, NL – July 21-22, 2022
- Graphics Pro Expo Long Beach, CA – August 4-6, 2002
- Impressions Expo Ft Worth, TX – September 30 – October 2, 2022
- Graphics Pro Expo Charlotte, NC – September 16-17, 2022
- START HERE Academy – September 15, 4-8 p.m., in Room 219 at the Charlotte Convention Center
- Sublimation Summit Peachtree City, GA – September 22-24, 2022
- Printing United Las Vegas, NV – October 19-21, 2022
All dates and events, subject to change
Please support our sponsors!
Our Success Group – Business Training, Consulting, and Support – Use the code 2rg to save on Monthly or Annual Membership plans.
This show is for the listeners, so please ask us questions or give us some topics you would like us to discuss. Contact us via our Facebook Page if you have any events or upcoming items related to our industry that you would like us to bring up on the show. Also, make sure to interact/follow us on Instagram and YouTube.