Myths and Realities of DTF Printing PART 2
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:13:40 — 67.0MB) Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS | More
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:13:40 — 67.0MB)
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS | More
Our last DTF show was so jam-packed with information that we could not answer all the questions from the #Regulators. So we are back with part two on DTF. Direct-to-Film or DTF Printing is the most discussed topic in garment decorating today. We have Todd Downing, a power DTF user, joining Aaron and Terry to talk about how the process works and how you might use it in your own shop. Todd will talk about what is true and what is a myth about this new DTF Printing process.
Our regular listeners know this, but 2 Regular Guys are all about garment decorating, a bit of fun, and no rants or lectures or selling. We are not doing this for our employers, but rather for our industry. Since February 2013, The 2 Regular Guys have been the first and the most listened to garment decorating industry podcast on this planet! We are humbled by all of you tuning in each week. We work hard to bring you information that will make your business better, and our industry better. Take a look at our incredible weekly guest list and you’ll understand where this industry goes for news, interviews, and the heartbeat of garment decorating. Thanks for listening!
REGGIE Award Voting will close on December 9th, 2021 at 5 PM Central 2regularguys.com/reggies_vote/
Ricoh and aeoon Technologies Announce Global DTG Print Partnership – The agreement enables Ricoh to extend its DTG offering into higher productivity market segments. Ricoh Europe announces a global partnership with aeoon Technologies, an Austrian developer of direct-to-garment (DTG) digital print systems. According to the company, the strategic technology partnership enables Ricoh to extend its DTG offering into higher productivity market segments and demonstrate its commitment to the textile market, focusing on improved sustainability and cost-efficiency.
Screen Printing magazine is now offering free classifieds on its website, screenprintingmag.com. If you’re buying, selling, finding a new hire, or seeking work in the screen printing industry, simply fill out a brief form and attach images if necessary. Go to screenprintingmag.com/classifieds
Graphics Pro Expo has a full slate of shows scheduled for 2022 and you can check them out at https://graphics-pro-expo.com/. In 2022 their last event of the year will be featuring the Start Here Academy at CHARLOTTE, NC September 16-17, 2022. This will consist of 101-level tutorials and techniques geared towards assisting new businesses and helping established businesses grow and find new profit centers. More details coming, so stay tuned.
Dad Joke: Did you hear about the chameleon who couldn’t change color?
He had a reptile dysfunction
DTF Part 2
We welcome back to the show, Todd Downing from Fat Dad Custom Wholesale and Our Success Group. Starting with a simple vinyl decal business in 2007, his business has grown to include eco-solvent printing, HTV, transfers, team sales and DTF transfer printing. He is also an online community mentor that strives to help others see how to move their businesses forward in a realistic fashion.
Questions we didn’t get to in the comments section during Part 1 of this show:
Aaron: From Josh Hester – Is the powder shaking machine worth it?
Anything that can save labor is worth it. The shaker dryer allows you to do other things while the machine takes care of the work. 1 issue I have seen with this is that if there is a problem with the print you might not know until it’s too late.
Terry: Also from Josh Hester – What is the average cost per print?
A lot goes into pricing as my overhead is most likely different than yours and you just can’t take all of your supplies multiple by 3 and say that’s your price. The printer you are using, who are you buying your supplies from, are you getting a better deal buying in bulk, what rip software you are using, what are your ink settings, and what is your hourly overhead cost are all factors in pricing? Taking in all the factors $1-$3 is a good average per square foot
Aaron: From Gosta – Do you need a special RIP to be able to use a DTG as a DTF
Terry might be able to help me out here since the Epson F2100 can be used for both DTF and DTG. As far as I know, it’s more in the settings and the sequence that the ink is laying down. In DTG you want the white first and in DTF you want the white last.
Terry: From Frank Good – Would you say a white toner printer is more dependable?
Are we talking desktop vs desktop, then yes. The white toner you can leave for a week and not have to worry about it, desktop DTF not so much. Also, you can do a lot more than just shirts with a white toner printer. I talked to someone at a show and a lot of their business is school sports. They didn’t like the way the transfers felt and so it was just sitting there. I asked about printing temporary tattoos and you could see the light bulb go off.
Aaron: From Dean Hudson – Can an old Epson-based DTG be converted to a DTF?
If there is a rip that supports it, I wouldn’t see why not. My main concern would be how old and how was it stored as there could be a heft expense to bring it back online if it isn’t stored properly.
Terry: So what do you see as the future for DTF?
Every day there is something new coming over from China, lately, it has been the neon inks, and to run those well you are going to need an 11 channel printer or separate printer dedicated just for neon ink. I think in the next 12-24 months we are going to see a US company produce their own which will make part, service, and accessibility even better. I know of a company right now with a handful of printers that are R&Ding so that they can create their own.
Facebook Live Video
Be Part of #5Things
If you would like to present your 5 Things, five quick points on any subject whether it be advice or five instructional steps, we would love to hear from you. You can come on the show and present them yourself, or we will share your list with our listeners or even play a recorded video of you sharing 5 things. Whatever is easiest.
Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, Contact Us or at our Facebook Page.
- 5 Keys of Business Success Growing and Launching – This experience includes over 5 hours of training videos, with 25 specific detailed modules. There are 5 distinct keys with 26 homework assignments to help you take action and put this training to work in your business. You will gain the confidence to grow and launch your business with guardrails to steer you away from catastrophe.
- The Half – 11:30 AM CST every Friday. Erich Campbell and Aaron Montgomery. 30 minutes of Q&A. And this is the one time in Erich and Aaron’s life that 30 minutes is 30 minutes. Tune in at www.liveosg.com. See past episodes and support the show – thehalf.club.
- Complete Screen Printing Business Course with Atlas Screen Supply in Chicago starting March 5-6, 2022.
- OurSuccessGroup.Com – Success Business Training. Our missing is to provide resources that empower business owners to achieve their idea of success.
- Club OSG – Live videos and information from After Hours of Tuesday’s With Todd and Small Business Saturdays. Plus 10% off at MontCo.biz and FatDadWholesale.com
- The Success Tracker – A program from OSG, to get people started on achieving their goals.
- Master of Success Inner Circle – The next level for people who are serious about their success. Bi-Weekly Mastermind Groups on top of the industry-leading business training.
- Aaron’s “Small Business Saturdays” #SBS Every Saturday. Check out the Podcast version at SmallBusinessSaturdaysPodcast.com
- Demystifying Next Level Digitizing Make your machine embroidery bolder, more beautiful, and more valuable to customers while making the digitizing process faster and easier. Online Training from Erich Campbell
- Understanding Emblems Digitizing, Production, Styles, and Sales of Patches. Learn from Erich Campbell digitizing for emblems including small detail tips, creating your own borders, as well as execution for stitching, and more. Online Training from Erich Campbell
- The Take-up with Erich Campbell – Friday’s at 2:30 Mountain Time
- Your Style Guide Your Style Guide is a critical recipe. When all of the ingredients are combined, they create a powerful brand that is aligned, consistent & memorable! eBook by Jay Busselle
- Impressions Expo Long Beach, CA – January 21-23, 2022
- DAX Kansas City Kansas City, MO – February 25-26, 2022
- Graphics Pro Expo Irving, TX – March 10-12, 2022
- Impressions Expo Atlantic City, NJ – March 24-26, 2022
- Graphics Pro Expo Denver, CO – April 14-15, 2022
- DAX Chicagoland Tinley Park, IL – April 22-23, 2022
- Graphics Pro Expo Indianapolis, IN – June 2-4, 2022
- Graphics Pro Expo Meadowlands, NL – July 21-22, 2022
- Graphics Pro Expo Long Beach, CA – August 4-6, 2002
- Impressions Expo Ft Worth, TX – September 30 – October 2, 2022
- Graphics Pro Expo Charlotte, NC – September 16-17, 2022
- Printing United Las Vegas, NV – October 19-21, 2022
All dates and events, subject to change
Please support our sponsors!
Our Success Group – Business Training, Consulting, and Support – Use the code 2rg to save on Monthly or Annual Membership plans.
This show is for the listeners, so please ask us questions or give us some topics you would like us to discuss. Contact us via our Facebook Page if you have any events or upcoming items related to our industry that you would like us to bring up on the show. Also, make sure to interact/follow us on Instagram and YouTube.
March 25, 2022 @ 2:41 am
After reading your article, I feel that you are at the forefront of DTF Printer. Is your technology constantly being updated? Are your machines expensive?
March 25, 2022 @ 1:07 pm
Windy – We might suggest watching the full program. You can reach out to our guest from the details he shared. We don’t sell machines, and our guest doesn’t either.