Niche Markets: Finding Yours in Emerging Markets
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:20:14 — 70.5MB) Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS | More
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:20:14 — 70.5MB)
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS | More
Regular listeners know that the 2 Regular Guys have very strong opinions on Niche Markets. This Friday the conversation will be: 1) How to find your own best niche. And 2) new emerging niche markets in our soon-to-be post-Covid world. Terry and Aaron want to share with you our thoughts on how to find a great niche as well as looking towards emerging markets for ideas to find a niche that will be successful for you.
Our regular listeners know this, but 2 Regular Guys are all about garment decorating, a bit of fun, and no rants or lectures or selling. We are not doing this for our employers, but rather for our industry. Since February 2013, The 2 Regular Guys have been the first and the most listened to garment decorating industry podcast on this planet! We are humbled by all of you tuning in each week. We work hard to bring you information that will make your business better, and our industry better. Take a look at our incredible weekly guest list and you’ll understand where this industry goes for news, interviews, and the heartbeat of garment decorating. Thanks for listening!
- JOIN THE 2022 SCREEN PRINTING MENTORSHIP PROJECT! After a successful first year, The Mentorship Project is back and looking for new members! Screen Printing magazine is looking for new mentors and mentees to participate in the 2nd annual Mentorship Project. The goal of this six-month program is to help all types of screen printers, from beginners to experts, grow their network and increase their skill set. The program connects two screen printers based on their goals, market, and region. Screen Printing will then facilitate the first meeting with suggested check-in dates and meeting topics for the mentor/mentee. Project members will receive a certificate of participation after the mentorship program is completed. The application form must be completed by March 30. The program is not intended for those who work for OEMs in the industry.
- Time is running out to sign up for the great seminars and workshops at the upcoming DAX Kansas City Show. Go to daxshow.com (http://www.daxshow.com/index.php?shownumber=58&action=seminars) at the link you see on screen or in the show notes to see all the details. But you have classes from Terry, Erich and I, plus several other amazing trainers like Charlie Tablieb and Katie Wubben. 3 ½ hour workshops like “Digitizing your First Design – Finding your Foundations” from Erich and my content creation workshop “Into Cyberspace: Your NEW On-line Customer Center”. The 80-minute classes like Terry’s “Specialty Inks and How to Use Them Properly” or “Why is Getting Started in DTG Printing So Confusing?”. Erich’s “Design Editing and Alterations” and the training I’m presenting, called “3 Pricing Strategies to Avoid (And what to do instead…)”. The ability to learn in person is one you don’t want to pass up.
Dad Joke – From Brian Bufka
Did you hear about the cow who said she was tired after giving birth?
She was decaffeinated
Finding Yours in Emerging Markets
Why is it important to find yours?
Aaron: It is important to focus on a niche that is right for you more than ever. With the rising costs of online advertising, a massive influx of new businesses online, you MUST have a niche to focus on. It seems like every crafter is suddenly becoming a business (not a bad thing, by the way, brings more exposure), and the market can be hard to reach if you are not speaking to your ideal customer. Suppose you are struggling to grow or meet your goals? The reason for that is trying to be everything to everybody. But what ends up happening is you are nothing to nobody. I saw this from Brendon Burchard on Instagram (Display on screen) This to me is why it is important to have a niche for focus.
Terry: Be an expert at what you do. Be an expert at who and where you sell.
What is a niche market?
Aaron: A niche market is a group of specific potential customers who connect to your message. A niche market is not in any shape or form and identification of the only people you do business with. I highly encourage you to accept any business that you can and make a profit. You also need to be happy taking those jobs. In fact, our niche might shift many times because of some of the new projects we get to do, so never look at a niche as limiting your potential business. It is quite the opposite. Having a robust and tight niche allows you to reach more people for less money, have more conversion (potential customers become customers). Plus, if your niche is a passion of yours, you will have more fun. Many people will look at niche markets as several small areas of focus, and they are not wrong. As you grow your business, you might very well be working towards several niche areas simultaneously, but when you are not growing or achieving your goals, it is most likely due to a lack of focus. I look at niche markets as a way to get laser-focused on who exactly our ideal customer is, and it not just the ones with money. These are the people whom you love doing business with, and they love doing business with you. The money almost seems inconsequential to both parties.
Terry: You know the SECRET. My favorite example of a niche market – printing at West Coast forest fires
Steps to discovering your personal and best niche market
Aaron: Big part of what we do in the OSG Community is working on finding clarity. Having a niche we identify gives you so much clarity. We normally start by walking through a one-page assessment. If people want to check it out they can at https://oursuccessgroup.com/niche/
-Niche, especially when starting out or leaving the “I have to be everything to everyone, but end up being nothing to no one” crowd really need to be something you identify with. An area of passion, something you’re good at.
-Also need to solve a problem that is currently underserved. Meaning what is in it for your ideal customer which is another part of the niche process we cover at OSG.
Some new emerging niche markets in the Covid/Post-Covid world
- Terry: Building online stores have been here for a while, but Covid shifted the process into high gear
- Terry: Farmers markets with very niche apparel… do it better than two folding tables
- Aaron: Other effects are the Crafter Market continuing to explode as people leave their day jobs. So the ability to build a community and then train, offer supplies and art.
- This could also lead to wholesale opportunities if you have a great business foundation, like knowing your numbers, and having an efficient workflow and process.
- Print on Demand Services where you just act as the manufacturing arm and ship for other companies. Must be “Terry” level efficient.
Aaron: Tie into virtual meetings. Jack Canfield is doing a program called Break Through to Success, and after signing up people got a box with all sorts of stuff in it, including a tumbler and pen. Our industry is such a good tie-in for virtual because it is the tangible things people can touch to feel connected to the community.
Facebook Live Video
Five Ways to Address the Rejection of Fast Fashion
From Erich Campbell, ErichCampbell.com
- Start with good art and film positives
- Maintain proper screen tension
- Use the right mesh count for the art and substrate – most people use a mesh count too low
- Print off contact and one direction – push or pull, but not both
- Do not flash between colors beyond flashing your white underbase
Be Part of #5Things
If you would like to present your 5 Things, five quick points on any subject whether it be advice or five instructional steps, we would love to hear from you. You can come on the show and present them yourself, or we will share your list with our listeners or even play a recorded video of you sharing 5 things. Whatever is easiest.
Reach out to us at email@example.com, Contact Us or at our Facebook Page.
- The Half – 11:30 AM CST every Friday. Erich Campbell and Aaron Montgomery. 30 minutes of Q&A. And this is the one time in Erich and Aaron’s life that 30 minutes is 30 minutes. Tune in at www.liveosg.com. See past episodes and support the show – thehalf.club.
- Complete Screen Printing Business Course with Workhorse Products in Phoenix on February 19-20, 2022.
- Complete Screen Printing Business Course with Atlas Screen Supply in Chicago starting March 5-6, 2022.
- Complete Screen Printing Business Course with Atlas Screen Supply in Chicago starting May 21-22, 2022.
- Complete Screen Printing Business Course with Atlas Screen Supply in Chicago starting August 27-28, 2022.
- Complete Screen Printing Business Course with Atlas Screen Supply in Chicago starting November 5-6, 2022.
- Master of Success Inner Circle – The next level for people who are serious about their success. Bi-Weekly Mastermind Groups on top of the industry-leading business training.
- Aaron’s “Small Business Saturdays” #SBS Every Saturday. Check out the Podcast version at SmallBusinessSaturdaysPodcast.com
- Demystifying Next Level Digitizing Make your machine embroidery bolder, more beautiful, and more valuable to customers while making the digitizing process faster and easier. Online Training from Erich Campbell
- Understanding Emblems Digitizing, Production, Styles, and Sales of Patches. Learn from Erich Campbell digitizing for emblems including small detail tips, creating your own borders, as well as execution for stitching, and more. Online Training from Erich Campbell
- The Take-up with Erich Campbell – Friday’s at 2:30 Mountain Time
- Your Style Guide Your Style Guide is a critical recipe. When all of the ingredients are combined, they create a powerful brand that is aligned, consistent & memorable! eBook by Jay Busselle
- DAX Kansas City Kansas City, MO – February 25-26, 2022
- Graphics Pro Expo Irving, TX – March 10-12, 2022
- Impressions Expo Atlantic City, NJ – March 24-26, 2022
- Graphics Pro Expo Denver, CO – April 14-15, 2022
- DAX Chicagoland Tinley Park, IL – April 22-23, 2022
- Graphics Pro Expo Indianapolis, IN – June 2-4, 2022
- Graphics Pro Expo Meadowlands, NL – July 21-22, 2022
- Graphics Pro Expo Long Beach, CA – August 4-6, 2002
- Impressions Expo Ft Worth, TX – September 30 – October 2, 2022
- Graphics Pro Expo Charlotte, NC – September 16-17, 2022
- Printing United Las Vegas, NV – October 19-21, 2022
All dates and events, subject to change
Please support our sponsors!
Our Success Group – Business Training, Consulting, and Support – Use the code 2rg to save on Monthly or Annual Membership plans.
This show is for the listeners, so please ask us questions or give us some topics you would like us to discuss. Contact us via our Facebook Page if you have any events or upcoming items related to our industry that you would like us to bring up on the show. Also, make sure to interact/follow us on Instagram and YouTube.