Please find some links and notes from the 2 Regular Guys Podcast where Aaron and Terry discussed Staff Training. The guys discuss a great conversation a couple of weeks ago with Marshall Atkinson about training your staff. Terry has run large and small production facilities around the country so has a great deal in insight into this subject. Aaron quizzes him for your knowledge.
Sponsored by: Equipment Zone (Use Coupon code GUYS)
Staff Training Discussion
- What’s your feeling about training on the production floor?
- Why an owner or shop manager would not do staff training?
- Take this new knowledge to the competition
- To busy to take the time for training
- What kinds of training have you done in your shops?
- I’ll do sessions on everything… coating screens, washout, press setup, squeegees, etc.
- I’ll train, I’ll have one of my supervisors or lead staff, and I’ll bring in outside vendors.
- What’s your take on cross training?
- Cross training can be a response to absenteeism.
- Cross training gives me the option of job rotation as well.
- Cross training offers you another benefit when the time arrives to look for that next supervisor or manager among your employees
- People leave, people change jobs, people move to Dubuque, it’s a fact of life and business. If I hoard my screen printing knowledge, I’m left with only a shop full of mediocre workers.
- When you start a program of cross training, the greatest difficulty will be in finding the time to do it.
- Always use printed handouts for the benefit of both your instructors and trainees. Leave space for the employees to make their own notes.
- I like to tie training to advancement and rate increases.
- Paying employees a bonus for successfully completing a course of study can be a nice perk as well.
- If you offer compensation in the form of job advancement, a raise or a bonus, it’s fair to test these same employees for an acceptable level of knowledge.
- Embroidery Mart Columbus – March 21st – 22nd
- ASI Long Beach – March 25th – 27th
- DAX Minnesota – March 28th – 29th
- ASI New York – April 3rd – 4th
- DAX Chicago – April 25th – 26th
- ISA Sign Expo Orlando – March 24th – 26th
- ISS Nashville – May 8th – 10th
- NBM Indianapolis – June 12th – 14th
- Complete Screen Printing Business Course – Atlas Screen Supply in Chicago – March 22-23, 2014
- Complete Screen Printing Business Course – Workhorse Products in Phoenix – May 17-18, 2014
- Introduction to DTG Printing – Equipment Zone in New Jersey (outside NYC) – April 4th
This show is brought to you for a full hour by: Equipment Zone, with 20 years experience selling garment printing equipment nationwide. Equipment Zone offers the new Epson F2000 SureColor direct-to-garment printer, their own VelociJet-XL DTG printer, and the all new SpeedTreater-TX automatic pretreat machine with a full 16”x24” pretreat area. Introductory price is $3,295. Equipment Zone also carries a full line of DTG inks and supplies. Go to EquipmentZone.com
This show is for the listeners so please make sure to ask us some questions or give us some topics you would like us to discuss. Also if you have any event or upcoming items related to our industry that you would like us to bring up on the show, please contact us via our Facebook Page. Also make sure to interact/follow us on Twitter.