(Sponsored by PRINTING United) This week on the 2 Regular Guys Podcast Aaron and Terry will talk about starting a decorating business. On this show, we won’t be talking about the view from the 10,000-foot concept level. We’ll be talking about the nuts and bolts of what to do now… today… to get your business started. Getting your state Tax ID, buying business cards, determining the space you need, buying or leasing equipment, and more! This show is about “where to go from here,” in starting a new decorating business.
Our regular listeners know this, but 2 Regular Guys are all about garment decorating, a bit of fun, and no rants or lectures or selling. We are not doing this for our employers, but rather for our industry. Since February 2013, The 2 Regular Guys have been the first and the most listened to garment decorating industry podcast on this planet! We are humbled by all of you tuning in each week. We work hard to bring you information that will make your business better, and our industry better. Take a look at our incredible weekly guest list and you’ll understand where this industry goes for news, interviews, and the heartbeat of garment decorating. Thanks for listening!
REGGIE Award nomination reminder… https://2regularguys.com/reggies You have until November 11th at 5 PM Central Time
S&S Activewear acquires TSC Apparel S&S Activewear (S&S) has announced it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire competitor TSC Apparel (TSC), marking S&S’ fourth acquisition since 2010. Founded in 1976, TSC has grown from a regional T-shirt supplier into a national distributor of blank apparel and accessories, serving over 30,000 customers. Today, S&S says its products can reach 99% of the U.S. within two days and 44 states in one day. According to S&S, joining forces with TSC will allow it to bring a larger depth of inventory and an expanded product offering to the marketplace.
The Virtual Applique Getaway is coming up from the 12th to the 14th of November. There is a great lineup of educators, including, Kristine Shreve. Lisa Shaw, Sheila Ryan, Jeff Fuller, and many more. Aaron has a session on Finding Your Niche and the price for all this education is $25. www.2regularguys.com/ag You will be able to view all of the education on into 2022, so sign up and then you can watch what you can and also want again over the holiday breaks.
Dad Joke: What do you call a beehive without an exit?
Starting a Business
Aaron: Terry I’m excited about today. As you know I love working with small businesses. I have found when working with small business owners they are so mired in the details that they forget the big picture. So I have made it my mission to preach the fundamentals and the grand vision so they have a foundation that can withstand setbacks. Because of that, you might notice that I’m spending a lot of time in the success principles, finding your why, setting goals, business planning, and more. Most small businesses actually have the tools to handle the details, but their lack of foundation makes them uncertain so the tiniest details freeze them and share resources to gain confidence and take action.
But with all that said if we can also give them the more nuts and bolts type tips, I believe we can also help our industry grow. So if you are an experienced business owner, we would love your feedback on what you suggest, and also you might be able to take a tip of today that maybe you missed or need to go back and revisit. If you are new, get your yellow legal pad out!
But Terry, I’m going to ask you a favor. You have to keep me on target, and out of the clouds as I can already see where I will get off track. Some of these items and questions I’m already thinking about how having a marketing plan, a clear mission, and brand identity is the answer, but I know I can do this. You are in charge. Where should we start?
Terry: Let’s start with the nuts and bolts of answering “What kind of business do I want to start?”
TC: What’s the need in the marketplace?
AM: What is your niche – What are you passionate about?
-I know it seems like I’m getting back in the clouds here, but doing work where you get to also participate in a passion or interest, is almost required. Being in business is not easy at times and there will be some low lows. If you don’t have a little bit of passion for who you are working with and what you are doing, you will become a statistic. If it is just about money, I know hundreds of decorators who would hire you.
-when you are ready to narrow down your niche into what people might be looking for, here are some nuts and bolts for you.
Visit your niche’s subreddits and evaluate the subscriber count and level of engagement.
Use Facebook’s Audience Insights tool to gauge the size of your niche on the platform.
Scan this list of popular hobbies on Wikipedia for inspiration.
Aaron: Your marketing plan
Terry: Business cards – (my personal pet peeve)
Aaron: The nuts and bolts… licenses, tax ID, etc. Business license in your state and sometimes local. Fed and State Tax ID
Describing your business? Light manufacturing
Terry: Buying equipment and Supplies (Sourcing)
Aaron: Getting educated
Facebook Live Video
5 Places to Get Education (Where you are not the product)
From Aaron Montgomery OurSuccessGroup.com
- Most* Industry Trade Shows * If the class is free the presenter paid for the room or at minimum the travel and they have to recoup their expenses by selling you a product.
- Hands-on Class from TerryCombs.com
- Measurement Marketing (Great SEO Training) https://oursuccess.group/MeasurementMarketing
Be Part of #5Things
If you would like to present your 5 Things, five quick points on any subject whether it be advice or five instructional steps, we would love to hear from you. You can come on the show and present them yourself, or we will share your list with our listeners or even play a recorded video of you sharing 5 things. Whatever is easiest.
- 5 Keys of Business Success Growing and Launching – This experience includes over 5 hours of training videos, with 25 specific detailed modules. There are 5 distinct keys with 26 homework assignments to help you take action and put this training to work in your business. You will gain the confidence to grow and launch your business with guardrails to steer you away from catastrophe.
- The Half – 11:30 AM CST every Friday. Erich Campbell and Aaron Montgomery. 30 minutes of Q&A. And this is the one time in Erich and Aaron’s life that 30 minutes is 30 minutes. Tune in at www.liveosg.com. See past episodes and support the show – thehalf.club.
- Complete Screen Printing Business Course with Atlas Screen Supply in Chicago starting November 6-7.
- OurSuccessGroup.Com – Success Business Training. Our missing is to provide resources that empower business owners to achieve their idea of success.
- Club OSG – Live videos and information from After Hours of Tuesday’s With Todd and Small Business Saturdays. Plus 10% off at MontCo.biz and FatDadWholesale.com
- The Success Tracker – A program from OSG, to get people started on achieving their goals.
- Master of Success Inner Circle – The next level for people who are serious about their success. Bi-Weekly Mastermind Groups on top of the industry-leading business training.
- Aaron’s “Small Business Saturdays” #SBS Every Saturday. Check out the Podcast version at SmallBusinessSaturdaysPodcast.com
- Demystifying Next Level Digitizing Make your machine embroidery bolder, more beautiful, and more valuable to customers while making the digitizing process faster and easier. Online Training from Erich Campbell
- Understanding Emblems Digitizing, Production, Styles, and Sales of Patches. Learn from Erich Campbell digitizing for emblems including small detail tips, creating your own borders, as well as execution for stitching, and more. Online Training from Erich Campbell
- The Take-up with Erich Campbell – Friday’s at 2:30 Mountain Time
- Your Style Guide Your Style Guide is a critical recipe. When all of the ingredients are combined, they create a powerful brand that is aligned, consistent & memorable! eBook by Jay Busselle
- Impressions Expo Long Beach, CA – January 21-23, 2022
- DAX Kansas City Kansas City, MO – February 25-26, 2022
- Graphics Pro Expo Irving, TX – March 10-12, 2022
- Impressions Expo Atlantic City, NJ – March 24-26, 2022
- Graphics Pro Expo Denver, CO – April 14-15, 2022
- DAX Chicagoland Tinley Park, IL – April 22-23, 2022
- Graphics Pro Expo Indianapolis, IN – June 2-4, 2022
- Graphics Pro Expo Meadowlands, NL – July 21-22, 2022
- Graphics Pro Expo Long Beach, CA – August 4-6, 2002
- Impressions Expo Ft Worth, TX – September 30 – October 2, 2022
- Graphics Pro Expo Charlotte, NC – September 16-17, 2022
- Printing United Las Vegas, NV – October 19-21, 2022
All dates and events, subject to change
Please support our sponsors!
This show is for the listeners, so please ask us questions or give us some topics you would like us to discuss. Contact us via our Facebook Page if you have any events or upcoming items related to our industry that you would like us to bring up on the show. Also, make sure to interact/follow us on Instagram and YouTube.